Sunday, July 29, 2007

Visions of Visions of Jewish Education

This is one that you will love if you have read Fox/Marom/Scheffler's Visions of Jewish Education, but you won't get at all if you haven't.

So I am sitting in a little falafel joint in the German Colony having a snack-meeting with one of my new colleagues from the Hartman Institute. Suddenly he says to me "Behind you is standing one of the great philosophers of Israel". I turn around, and see, at the counter, buying a falafel, someone who looks, frankly, like a taxi driver. Unkempt hair, a pair of old tatty jeans, a tatty grey T-shirt, a bit of a paunch. "Who is it?" I ask. "Menachem Brinker" is the answer. "Have you heard of him?"

3 comments:

Simon said...

Haven't read that book, you will be surprised to hear, but I do have an observation, based on exprience in London. Of course he looked like a taxi driver! As a profession, they are all considered (by themselves if nobody else) to be significantly above-average philosophers.

"I'm not a racist, mate, but them darkies..." etc

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, I remember Brinker. More power to "Jewish Peoplehood" in the Land of Israel and the educated proletariat. His Jewish identity is strong enough to cross over to the '60's in America without losing his Israeli identity. Did you talk to him?? Were you surprised? Disappointed?

shamirpower said...

was it danny marom who taught when i took it? ahh brinker. in the flesh!